Wednesday 20 March 2013

Am I a Real Chef?

Normally, I look for recipes (mainly in Pinterest) and make them for my family. Tonight my son asked if I would make enchiladas which I've never made and rarely eaten. So I Googled and searched Pinterest but almost every thing I found used meat (we're vegetarian) or canned sauce etc.

I don't know what got into me but I decided to make up my own recipe based on what I remember them tasting and looking like when I would eat them in Dallas (I used to go their a lot in a previous job).

I'm going to write up what I did in case they turn out to be good. I'm writing this as the cook in the oven. I'll let you know later how they taste.

Filling:

  • 3 cloves minced garlic (to taste)
  • Spices to taste. I used some (not sure how much) cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, a tiny bit of oregano and some chili flakes
  • 2 cups chopped mushrooms, your choice
  • 1 red pepper seeded and sliced thin into long strips
  • 2 handfuls fresh spinach chopped
  • 4 tbsp refried beans
  • 1cup frozen corn
Sauté the above ingredients until the pepper is tender and the beans are melted.

Sauce:
  • Make a roux in a medium sauce pan. 4 tbsp butter to 6 tbsp ap flour
  • Add 1small can of tomato paste whisking all the time
  • Add 2 cups vegetable stock
  • Add 1 cup salsa
Assemble the enchiladas as follows:
  • Pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of a Pyrex or other oven proof dish
  • Put one sixth of the filling in a soft tortilla. Add grated cheddar or Jack to taste and two slices of a ripe avocado.
  • Roll and place seam side down in the baking dish.
  • Repeat with the other 5 tortillas
  • Spoon some sour cream on the top, add more sauce and more grated cheese
  • Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Makes six big enchiladas or 6 servings. I originally thought I could eat two of these but, man, was I ever wrong. They were delicious but very, very filling. 

This is what they looked before cooking
And now all bubbly and gooey good

No comments:

Post a Comment